2 tbsp soft brown (or coconut) sugar
½ tsp cinnamon, ground
½ tsp ginger, ground
2 ripe black plantain
Flavour less oil (or coconut) for frying
*1 cup shredded coconut
1. Mix together the sugar, cinnamon and ginger with a pinch of salt for balance.
2. Carefully top, tail and peel your plantain. Remove any damaged or brown bits and slice on an angle into ¼ inch thick pieces.
3. Drizzle enough oil into a non-stick frying pan. When hot gently add your plantain and shallow fry until fragrant and golden about 2 – 3 mins each side.
4. When golden, remove from the pan and drop onto kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil.
5. Gently toss in the sugar mixture before placing on your serving platter.
SERVE : With a dollop of coconut yoghurt mixed with a drizzle of maple syrup or spoon of mango ice cream.
Jax Hamilton's Tip : Toasted coconut : Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded coconut into a non-stick frying pan, ensuring you have an even layer. Over a medium heat, toast and toss until the coconut is fragrant and brown. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle over your crispy plate of fried plantain. This is a wonderful way to amp up and bring gorgeous texture to this dish.