2 large ripe (black) plantain (about 300g)
100g pitted dates
1/3 cup cocoa (or cacao) powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla
1 tbsp maple syrup
¼ cup almond or coconut milk
Garnish - ¼ cup cocoa powder
Garnish - 50g dried mango, roughly chopped
Mango Cream Cheese Icing
50g mango flesh (drained from a tin is fine)
75g full fat cream cheese
250g icing sugar
50g butter or coconut oil
Mix together with a hand blender until smooth and creamy. Set aside until ready to ice your slice.
Jax Hamilton's Tip : if you’re looking for a low sugar alternative, cover your slice in coconut cream and garnish as directed.
1. Pre heat oven to 180. Grease and line your slice tin.
2. Peel and roughly chop your plantain (chop out any brown flesh or imperfections). Along with the dates add to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and ¾ of the milk. Scrape down with a silicon spoon, then blend until smooth. If it’s a little thick, pour in the remaining milk. You’re looking for a smooth, silky batter.
4. Pour and spread into your prepped tin. Bake for 25 minutes or until set.
5. Allow to completely cool in the pan before spreading over the mango frosting, dusting with the extra cocoa powder and sprinkling with the chopped mango.
SERVE : With coffee. In lunch boxes or just put your feet up and eat quarter, then half then wonder where it all went. Whilst my cat just stared at me!