Pineapple Upside Down CakeThis recipe is from The Great Kiwi Bake Off.
150g caster sugar
¼ cup water
1 Dole pineapple, peeled and sliced to your liking
250g brown sugar
4 whole eggs
½ cup room temperature milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g plain flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
50g ground almonds
50g coarsely ground walnuts
1. Boil until dark golden brown and then quickly pour into the lined baking tin
1. When caramel is set, arrange the sliced pineapple on top
1. Grease and line a 10" round baking tin with baking paper
2. Set oven to 160°C
3. Beat butter and brown sugar together in a mixing bowl until pale and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
5. Add milk and vanilla, and beat through
6. In a bowl, sieve flour and baking powder, mix in almonds and walnuts. Fold into the batter with a rubber spatula.
7. Pour batter over the pineapple and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake is cooked when tested with a skewer.
8. Remove from the oven.