Recipe inspired by TVNZ 2's The Great Kiwi Bake Off Cake Week
½ Dole Tropical GoldⓇ Pineapple (about 2 cups chopped pineapple)
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup coconut oil
¼ cup maple syrup or honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups ground almonds
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 tin of organic coconut cream (place in the fridge the night before)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp maple syrup
Top with extra pineapple, lemon slices and mint leaves
- The night before you make this cake, place the coconut cream in the fridge and leave for at least 10 hours. This will allow the cream to separate from the water.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a cake tin with baking paper.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the pineapple, lemon juice, lemon rind, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked through.
- To test if the cake is cooked through, insert a knife or metal skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean it is done! Leave to cool completely before icing with the coconut cream.
- Carefully open the tin of coconut cream and use a spoon to scoop out the cream layer from the top. Once you break through to the water portion, drain out the coconut water.
- In a bowl, whisk the coconut cream, vanilla and maple syrup. Taste and add extra maple syrup if needed.
- Spread the cream over the cake, top with pineapple and lemon slices and serve.