There's nothing quite like homemade ginger ale made with this delicious fresh syrup and a little soda water. After making the syrup, you can use the Ginger Tiger pieces for toppings or mixing with yoghurt or ice cream.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups of peeled and chopped fresh Ginger Tiger
- 1½ cups of sugar
- The peel of 1 lemon (yellow only, no white pith)
- 1½ litre bottle of soda water
- Ice cubes
- Place the water, chopped Ginger Tiger, and lemon peel in a heavy saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar and bring back to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Boil for a further 15 minutes to reduce the syrup to about 3 cups of liquid.
- Cool slightly and strain through a sieve.
- When cold, pour into an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator. The syrup will keep for up to a week. The remaining Ginger Tiger pieces can be stored in the same way.
- To serve, place ice cubes into a glass and pour one part syrup to four parts soda water, using more or less according to your taste (like you would with cordial).