Ginger Rhubarb CompoteGinger and rhubarb is a match made in heaven. This quick and easy dish is best made in the microwave, as the rhubarb will keep its shape and colour better than with conventional cooking. Fabulous as a dessert served hot or cold with vanilla ice cream or as part of a healthy breakfast with cereal or yoghurt.
- 600 g trimmed rhubarb stalks, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh Ginger Tiger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Place all the ingredients into a microwavable container and cover, leaving space for air to escape.
- Cook for 3 minutes on high.
- Stir the fruit gently and return to the microwave for a further 2 minutes on high. Rest the fruit for a further 2 minutes and check for tenderness.
- Allow to cool a little and serve with ice cream, custard pancakes or chill in the refrigerator and serve mixed into yoghurt, or wherever you would use fresh or cooked fruit.
Note: As microwave ovens have different power capacities, you may need to adjust the cooking time.