Dole Pineapple and Lemongrass KombuchaMakes 8 litres
2 litres filtered water
1 cup raw sugar
4 black tea bags
2 green tea bags
1 x scoby (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast)
1 cup starter tea
2 cups fresh Dole Tropical Gold Pineapple pieces
2 sticks lemongrass, cut according to the number of bottles
- In a large saucepan, bring water and sugar to the boil. Add tea bags and remove from heat. Allow the tea to steep for 15-20 minutes, then remove tea bags and allow to cool.
- Pour the cooled tea into a large, clean jar with a wide mouth. Add scoby and starter tea, cover jar with a paper towel and secure with a rubber band.
- Put somewhere out of direct sunlight for about a week. Optimal temperature for fermentation is about 21-24*C.
- After this time, transfer the kombucha to large glass bottles, retaining the scoby and 1 cup of the liquid for the next batch. Add pineapple pieces and lemongrass to each bottle and seal.
- Set aside for another 5-7 days (length of time depends on temperature, your personal preference and what you have used for flavouring. A warmer atmosphere will speed up fermentation, as will fresh fruits with high sugar content). Open the bottles and reseal every day or so to release some of the pressure – you can taste at this point to get the flavour you’re after.
- Strain, rebottle and refrigerate. Your kombucha should now be ready to enjoy!