Recipe by Jax Hamilton for the Dole Kitchen Challenge.
½ cup honey
1 cup flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
Zest of 1 orange
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup Dole banana, peeled & mashed
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease and line a round baking tin (20 – 23cm).
2. Using a hand beater or food processor, beat the butter until soft and creamy. Add the honey and beat until combined, light and fluffy.
3. Add the flours and salt and process until you have a soft dough. Now add the vanilla, orange zest and spices, mix well then fold through the mashed banana.
NOTE: this dough is very soft.
4. Spoon the dough into the greased baking tin. Use a spatula and spread out the batter so you have one even layer.
5. Press an ovenproof (metal) cookie cutter in the centre. Then using a wet knife, slice your shortbread into even wedges (you don’t have to cut all the way through – you can go over the cuts when the shortbread is out of the oven).
6. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the top is firm to touch, golden and smelling like banana and honey heaven.
7. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then go over the previous slices and cut through. Leave in the pan to cool completely.
8. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
TO SERVE: If baking for a gift, once the shortbread is cool, melt some chocolate in the microwave and dip the tip of each wedge into the bowl. Lay on baking paper and sprinkle with chopped nuts, sprinkles or chocolate hail.
Jax Says: When using a spatula or spoon to spread mixture into a pan, run it under the tap briefly and shake off any excess water. This will prevent the mixture sticking to the spoon.