Breakfast Banana French ToastBe careful with this one, it can be a bit slippery and fragile, but it's really worth it in the end!
- 2 slices of toast-cut sliced bread
- butter or non-dairy spread (margarine)
- 1 regular banana
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- golden or maple syrup
- Lay the slices of bread out on a plate and butter one side of them. Now turn them over.
- Slice the banana into pieces about 1 cm thick and arrange these to cover one piece of the bread. There will be some slices left over. Put these slices aside to use later.
- Place the other piece of bread on top of the first one so that the buttered side is on top. Now you will have a banana sandwich but the butter will be on the outside.
- Press the sandwich together slightly with a wide spatula.
- Beat the egg and milk together in a mixing bowl and then pour into a shallow dish.
- Pick up the sandwich and place it into the egg mixture.
- Wait for about 1 minute, and then carefully turn the sandwich over in the mixture.
- Wait one more minute. (The bread should soak up most of the egg mixture)
- Take a frying pan that is big enough for your sandwich and place it on a medium heat.
- Very gently, using your wide spatula lift the sandwich into the hot pan.
- Cook for a few minutes until golden brown on one side.
- Using the spatula again, turn the sandwich over and cook until that side is also golden brown. The sandwich should feel firm when pressed lightly.
- Turn off the heat and remove the sandwich to a breadboard.
- Cut in half diagonally and place on your serving plate.
- Top with the extra banana slices you put aside earlier and drizzle with golden or maple syrup.
For something different, try a mixture of sugar and cinnamon instead of the syrup.