Celebrating International Banana Day: Recipe courtesy of Baker Gatherer
2 Ready Rolled Puff Pastry Sheets
240g Caster Sugar
60g Custard Powder
3 ripe Dole Bananas (300g total)
2 Egg Yolks
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
170g Icing Sugar
120g Brown Sugar
½ Teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
3 Tablespoon Milk
- To start, flick oven on to 220ºC bake and line a 20cm square baking tin with grease-proof paper and set aside.
- Next line a baking tray with grease-proof paper and lay a sheet of ready rolled pastry on it. Allow to defrost slightly and then prick sheets with a fork all over. Bake each sheet one at a time for 8-9 minutes or until crisp and golden. Flip pastry sheet over onto its other side and bake for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the oven and while still hot, flatten with a fish slice and trim to size of baking tin. Allow to cool completely. Repeat for second sheet.
- To make the banana custard add cream and banana to a blender and blitz until completely smooth and thickened slightly. Pour banana mixture into a large measuring jug and add a little bit of milk, making up to 600ml in total if necessary.
- In a large saucepan, add the banana mix, sugar, cornflour, custard powder and butter and slowly bring to a boil. Stir constantly for about 3 minutes until it thickens, remove from the heat and then quickly whisk in the egg yolks and vanilla until combined.
- Now that the pastry layers are cool, place one layer into the bottom of prepared tin. Pour the hot banana custard directly over pastry, smooth the surface and press second pastry layer firmly on top. Place in the fridge for 3 hours or until set.
- When the slice has set, it’s time to make the caramel icing. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Add the milk and brown sugar and bring to a boil. When mixture reaches a boil, boil vigorously for 1 minute without stirring.
- Remove from the heat and beat in half of the icing sugar. Allow to cool slightly through mixing, then beat in the remaining icing sugar and vanilla. If you’d like the icing thinner, add a splash of milk.
- Spread caramel icing over top of slice, cut and serve!