Banoffee CupcakesThis recipe is from The Great Kiwi Bake Off.
175g Standard Flour
1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt
190g White Sugar
2 large Eggs
1 cup mashed Dole Bananas (2 large bananas)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ Cup (60ml) Milk
¼ Cup Dark Chocolate Drops
Salted Caramel Filling Ingredients
1 Cup White Sugar
½ Cup Cream
1 tsp Sea Salt
300ml Double Cream
½ cup Mascarpone Cheese
120g Icing Sugar
½ tsp Vanilla
¼ Cup pureed Dole Banana (half a fresh banana)
Dark Chocolate Drops (to make some filigree butterflies)
Whole or Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
- Preheat oven to 180C and line your muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In a stand mixer beat together butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides after beating each egg well.
- Add mashed bananas and vanilla and mix well.
- Add half the flour then the milk then the rest of the flour till just mixed.
- Fold in the choc chips then divide into the cases (about ¾ up the sides) and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes till they brown up a little and spring back to the touch.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Melt 150g dark choc, spread out sheet of baking paper and draw 12-16 pictures of whatever filigree you desire (allow for breakages). Fill plastic piping bag and snip a tiny edge so just get a drizzle (or better yet make baking paper piping bags) then pipe and put in fridge to harden.
Salted Caramel Filling
Next melt sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat till it turns into a caramel coloured liquid, careful not to burn! Then straight away add butter and stir till melted then slowly drizzle in the cream while stirring. Allow to boil then stir in sea salt and cool to thicken.
For the icing put all the ingredients (bar the puree) in the stand mixer and mix till soft peaks form. Then add puree till the peaks get stiff, watch the cream doesn’t over mix.
Using an apple corer, scoop out a little well to put the caramel sauce in. Pipe icing on top then decorate with filigree butterflies, sliced banana and chopped nuts.