Banana chocolate chip biscuits with salted caramel
2 cups standard flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cornflour
Pinch of salt
125g butter, softened
1 cup soft brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup caster sugar
1 cup mashed Dole bananas (approx. 2 medium)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate drops
Salted caramel filling:
1 cup caster sugar
100g butter, diced
300ml cream, heated just to boiling
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ tsp flaky sea salt
1. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cornflour, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
2. In another bowl, beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat in bananas and vanilla until combined. Stir in the flour mixture just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper or lightly spray with cooking spray. Drop slightly heaped tablespoons of mixture onto the prepared trays, leaving space for biscuits to expand during cooking.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes or just until the edged have turned golden brown.
Remove from oven and leave on trays to cool completely. Once cold, sandwich together with salted caramel.
5. To make the salted caramel, place sugar into a heavy-based saucepan set over a low heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until sugar melts. As the sugar cooks, brush down sides of saucepan with a pastry brush dipped in cold water but do not stir. Now raise the heat and bring to the boil. Cook, without stirring, for 2-4 minutes until the mixture begins to brown and caramelise. Shake the saucepan from side to side so the caramel colours evenly.
6. Remove from the heat; add the butter and cream (take care, as the mixture will bubble and spit). Stir continuously to encourage any caramel lumps to dissolve. Lower the heat and simmer the caramel until thick and reduced by one quarter.
7. Remove from the heat, then stir in vanilla and salt. Strain into a bowl and set aside and cool to room temperature. Chill to firm before using to sandwich biscuits together. Can be made ahead and refrigerated until required.