This has to be one of the best comfort foods of all time. Bananas, toffee and a touch of rum - heavenly.
- 1 cup chopped dried dates
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 mashed Dole bananas
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 75g softened butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 180g self rising flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 bananas, sliced, to serve
- Yoghurt, cream or ice cream, to serve
- Rum Toffee Sauce
- 50g butter
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons rum (1teaspoon of rum essence if preffered)
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease six medium to large ramekins.
- Boil dates and water in a small pot for a few minutes, stirring to break up the dates. Remove from heat and mix in the baking soda. Mix in the mashed banana, golden syrup and vanilla.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Mix into banana and date mixture.
- Sieve flour and cinnamon together into a mixing bowl. Add wet mixture to the flour and fold together until well combined.
- Fill ramekins to three quarters full with batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- To make the rum toffee sauce, melt butter and golden syrup together in a pot and boil for a few minutes until a thick caramel sauce. Stir in the rum (or essence) and turn off the heat. Stir in the cream.
- Run a knife around the edge of the ramekins to loosen the puddings. To serve, turn each pudding out onto a plate, and spoon over toffee sauce. Garnish with sliced banana and a dollop of yoghurt, cream or ice cream.