Baked Banoffee SliceRecipe courtesy of Chloe Moir Nutrition in celebration of International Banana Day! If you love the banana caramel combo, and traditional Banoffee Pie is one of your faves, then you have got to give this slice a go! It is gluten-free, dairy-free and the perfect treat to enjoy shared with friends and family.
300ml coconut milk (full fat, organic)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or any other sweetener of your choice e.g. honey, rice malt syrup, coconut nectar etc)
1 cup nuts and seeds (I used a mix of almonds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
Pinch of sea salt
1/4 cup dates
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup 100% peanut butter (or use any nut butter e.g. almond butter)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Dole bananas, sliced
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
Baking tray used measures 22.5 x 22.5cm
1. Heat the coconut milk on medium heat until it boils. Reduce to a simmer and whisk in the maple syrup. Leave to simmer for about 20 minutes until it reduces down.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. In a blender or food processor, blend the nuts, seeds, coconut and salt. Add the dates, vanilla, peanut butter and coconut oil and pulse to combine.
3. Press the base into a lined baking tray. Bake for 10 minutes.
4. Layer the cooked base with sliced banana, chocolate chips and then cover with the coconut caramel.
5. Bake again for 30 minutes.
6. Leave to cool on the bench top then place in the fridge to cool down completely before slicing.