4 Abe’s Bagels Cinnamon and Raisin
100g butter, melted and cooled
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup golden caster sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins
4 ripe Dole bananas, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Generously butter an ovenproof dish (20cm x 20cm).
- Slice the bagels in half and spread with melted butter, then tear or slice each bagel half into pieces. Pour bagel pieces into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until well mixed. Then beat the milk and cream into the egg mixture with the cinnamon and vanilla. Stir through the raisins and pour just more than half the mixture over the bagels. Push the bagels down gently so they are completely covered in liquid. Let stand for 20 - 30 minutes in the bowl to allow the bagels to soak up the liquid.
- Pour half of the bagel mixture into the ovenproof dish, arrange the bagel pieces and cover with slices of banana. Add the second half of the bagels and custard and top with remaining slices of banana.
- Sprinkle the top with a little brown sugar and extra cinnamon.
- Place in a roasting tin and fill halfway to make a bain marie. Bake 35-45 minutes until golden brown and set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving with ice cream or runny cream.